Cleaning Procedures & Recommendations
General Cleaning Clean stone surfaces with a neutral cleaner designated safe for natural stone. Use a clean mop on floors and a soft cloth for other surfaces for best results. Don’t use more than the recommended amount of any cleaning product. Too much may leave a film, causing streaks. Change rinse water frequently. Do not use products that contain lemon juice, vinegar or other acids on marble, travertine or limestone as these can etch the surface of the stone. Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface.If you have large areas of stone, tile (or wood) in your home consider purchasing a Hoover Floormate Spinscrub 800. It’s a great tool for maintaining hard floors. It sprays scrubs and rinses will very little effort on your part and you won’t risk spreading dirty water around like mopping can. Walmart usually has the best price
Floor Surfaces Dust mop interior floors frequently using a clean non-treated dry dust mop. Sand, dirt and grit do the most damage to natural stone surfaces due to their abrasiveness. Mats or area rugs inside and outside an entrance will help to minimize the sand, dirt and grit that can scratch a stone floor. Be sure that the underside of the mat or rug is a non-slip surface. Do not use vacuum cleaners that are worn as the metal or plastic attachments may scratch the surface. You will want a vacuum that lets you shut off the brush roll so grit &dust dost not get scattered. For wet cleaning methods read more HERE
Counter/Vanity Top Surfaces Clean your countertops daily with a soft cloth or paper towel and a residue free pH neutral cleaner designated safe for natural stone.We recommend Trader Joe’s Multi Purpose Cleaner, Stone Tech’s Revitalizer from most tile shops and :emon Clean from Coast paper Supply or Mid Valley supply in Watsonville.
Bath and Other Wet Areas In the bath/ shower or other wet areas, soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use. Installing a water softener in your home will help tremendously as well. We recommend the use of Magic Al’s Non Acid Soap Scum Remover to clean all stone and tile shower stalls.
For hard water spots/build up glass and granite we recommend Magic Al’s Glass and Metal Magic. You’ll find a ton of uses for this great product. Magic Al products can be found in the cleaning supply section@ www.groundfloor.org
Outdoor Pool & Patio Areas In outdoor pool, patio or hot tub areas sweep often flush with clear water and use a mild bleach solution to remove algae or moss. Neutral pH detergents can be used sparingly but take care to make sure they do not enter any waterways. Hydrogen Peroxide can be sprayed on organic stains. Apply a good amount over the spot and let it dry naturally, several applications may be necessary.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do dust mop floors frequently.
- Do clean surfaces with a neutral stone cleaner.
- Do thoroughly rinse and dry the surface after washing.
- Do blot up spills and cooking oils immediately.
- Do protect floor surfaces with non-slip mats or area rugs and counter top surfaces with coasters, trivets or placemats, particularly under those containing alcohol or citrus juices. Many common foods and drinks contain acids that will etch or dull the stone surface.
- Don’t place hot items directly on the stone surface. Use trivets or mats under hot dishes and placemats under china, ceramics, silver or other objects that can scratch the surface.
- Don’t use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble, limestone, travertine or concrete surfaces.
- Don’t use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Don’t mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
Stain Treatment and Other Issues
If possible, immediately blot spills with a clean paper towel. If something has soaked into the stone and stained it, a poultice may need to be applied. 40 Volume peroxide (hair developer) available at a beauty supply shop can be sprayed on stone to lighten organic stains such as coffee and wine Contact us for more details.
We seal every stone that requires it after we clean it, but a reapplication needs to be done periodically. You can purchase a product and do it yourself, or contact us to perform the service for you.